30 Oct 5 Ways To Boost Your Mindset For Success
Originally published on Forbes.
We all want to know the secret to success, but the reality is that there are so many factors that go into what makes one truly successful. I’ve written before about how hard work and dedication is so important to achieving success. But of course, there’s more to success than just keeping your nose to the grindstone. Maintaining a solid mindset can go a long way towards helping you stay on the path to success.
Here are five ways to boost your mindset mojo for success today.
1. Learn lessons from your mistakes. Anyone who has achieved success can rattle off a list of failures they encountered along the way, I assure you. I’ve been there myself. As I built my business from the bottom up to the multi seven-figure mark, it wasn’t always smooth sailing (to put it nicely). I made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I made an effort to gain something from each setback. I realized that you can learn from a bad teacher as much as you can from a good teacher. I learned that every loss is a win if you let it be. So if you’ve experienced a failure, don’t beat yourself up. Brush yourself off, analyze what happened, and determine how you can do things differently in the future, and move on. That is what will determine your ability to be successful—it’s not your wins; it’s how you handle your losses.
2. Set small goals as stepping stones to your success. Sometimes when we get caught up in the daily grind, we get so focused on not yet having reached the end goal of success. So take time to set small, frequent goals, and reward yourself in some manner after achieving them. The best way to do this is to write out a big lofty goal, and under that goal, list all the “mini goals” you need to hit in order to make it happen. Put dates next to those mini goals and focus on each step by setting aside non-negotiable, realistic blocks of time—work dates with yourself—to get them done.
3. Be flexible. Not everything is going to go according to plan, and maintaining a level of emotional fitness is key. You’re not always going to achieve all of your goals on time or even at all… And that’s ok. That’s life. Be open to making adjustments as they arise. If you find yourself in a bind, consult a colleague who may be able to offer you a perspective you hadn’t been able to see. Being able to adapt and roll with the punches is crucial to staying on the path to success.
4. Get inspired. Take time each day, even if it’s 10 minutes, to expose yourself to something that truly inspires you. Read the blog of someone you admire. Watch a motivational video. Write a thank you note to someone who went out of their way for you. However you choose to get inspired, making this a daily priority will you maintain your momentum. My recommendation? Come up with a list of activities that get your inspiration flowing. To me, gratitude is everything. I set the intention to write thank you notes, spend time reading and listen to music that moves me. What moves you?
5. Engage in positive self-talk. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies, so it’s important to be conscious of how we talk to ourselves. Mayo Clinic defines positive self-talk as, “the unspoken stream of thoughts that run through your head,” – these could be positive or negative. Mayo Clinic asserts that if you want to have a more optimistic outlook, you must have positive thoughts. Thus, your results in the world all start and end with your thinking! Encourage yourself. Compliment yourself. Reward yourself. But also make sure to stay realistic and grounded. It’ll help you stay focused on your journey and realistic about what you can achieve and how soon.
There’s no replacement for hard work and grit when it comes to achieving our goals, but keeping our heads in the right place along the way is also incredibly important. Use these simple steps, and you’ll achieve the positive, balanced mindset you need to focus on achieving your successes.
Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Ashley Stahl helps job seekers find their purpose, land more job offers and launch their dream businesses. Sign up here for her free jumpstart course on how to land a new job you love.